Tuesday, May 22, 2007

THE FUNCTIONS OF FICTION | Chapter Ten

Lyricist Lin Xi, in an interview, speaks of the levels to writing a love song. Level one is when you are at least writing Chinese; level two is when you want people to weep and they do; level three: Not only do your words bring tears they also bring back memories; level four: When the weepers have done weeping they are philosophical, able to see the unhappy past in a happier light; then there is what Mr Lin terms the Huang Yaoshi level, when a love song is also about the world, politics – going beyond “one couple, two systems” to “one country, two systems” and back, as it were.

Coming to the Huang Yaoshi ref in the interview – thanks Ms O for posting parts of it – I felt a flicker of satisfaction. Hey, I thought, Mr Lin reads Louis Cha too. The master lyricist is reading the same master novelist as me. Then I thought, hey, everyone in Hong Kong, in China, reads Mr Cha or learns him by osmosis: Mr Lin is making the ref to Huang Yaoshi (an exceptionally multitalented man in Legend of the Eagle-Shooting Heroes, a genius) without a second thought and everyone there gets the ref without a second thought. So in mere seconds I went from feeling I wasn’t quite alone to feeling I was quite alone. I am a shorthand typist using signs that few of my friends here know. Worse, I thought, we don’t have our own similarly resonant shorthand. We don’t have our own Louis Cha stories, our own rich (if a bit middlebrow) mythology. We are poorer for it.

3 comments:

orangeclouds said...

This is good. And in only two pars too. Can I link to it on my blog, in the post on LX? I'd understand if you want to keep it private of course :)

And yes, I wish I knew more so I could keep you company in your bicultural universe.

Manic Mummy said...

I know. TCS/SBC drama serials just don't cut it, right? But those were also damn fine tv theme songs (so don't laugh at mr lee and i when we sing them). I guess what we don't have in rich popular reference, we make up for by being able to draw from a hodge-podge of imported cultural references, east and west. So one moment Lin Xi, next moment Murakami, and then Marquez.

precious said...

hey orangeclouds, link away. sorry for the late reply. am in taipei!

and tishbite, yes, we do draw from east and west. it's something, i suppose.