Friday, August 08, 2008

THE FUNCTIONS OF FICTION | Chapter Fourteen

I can only take our mother’s word for it because I was too small at the time. I was one year and five months old when Fei was born and when he was brought home from hospital, according to her, my first act as big sister was to offer my little brother my bed. It was one of my few acts as big sister probably because by the time I was old enough to remember he was big-brothering me more than I was big-sistering him. I would be in trouble with our mother, trying to hide from her and her cane maybe after I talked back to her too much, and he would be saving my hide. It was a three-room flat and there weren’t many hiding places. If I ran out of ideas (again) and ran to the bathroom, he would run with me, get me inside and locked, stay outside and stop my mother. He wasn’t even five years old then.

Sure we did brawl, we did fight and we did have our wars growing up. If he thrashed me in chess, I would be a bad loser and I would have to thrash him back or die trying in countless rematches. I wasn’t adult enough then to accept that he would know better; now I am.

He knows his chess and his Chinese history (he is well-versed in Qing history, having read the non-fiction that I haven’t bothered to because “you can’t write like Louis Cha by reading him – he read history”); he knows his economics and his engineering; he knows how the world works. (When I think about it I think I got most of our parents’ silliness and he got most of their sense.)

When I had problems with a previous boss he said, “Didn’t you read The Deer and the Cauldron?” I did, I said. I read all five books of the Louis Cha novel more than 10 times and laughed myself silly each time. He got very different things out of the very same books, however. He gleaned from the tale of Wei Xiaobao, his Manchu boss, Emperor Kangxi, his anti-Manchu boss, Chen Jinnan, his seven wives and three children the art of human relations.

When I had knee problems he ran with me. He came down to my level and ran at my pace, to teach me a better technique – Chi Running – to save my knees from me.

When I was in real trouble, the one time I was in real trouble, he did what he could. Although I didn’t say anything at the time, he somehow knew why I was in a black mood (…Oscar…) and why my mood was changing from black to bleak (…our parents…). So he took me to How the Grinch Stole Christmas and when it didn’t work he took me to breakfast. Over kway chap he fed me a Louis Cha tale I hadn’t read, about a couple with the most ideal, happy marriage. Who never fight. Who are the envy of every other couple in the whole jianghu. But as it transpires, their marriage is a sham. So. People fight in real relationships, he said. We know how our parents’ fights go. Our mother will do this and our father will do that. We know how their fights come and go as wayang do, he said. I heard him; I heard the things he said and the things he didn’t say; and when there was no more to be said to me in my darkest moments he went shopping with me.

So. He is married and moving out soon. For years I thought I was prepared for the day we would have very separate lives. I had bought extra Louis Cha books for the day we would have very separate libraries, hadn’t I? I was big-sister prepared, wasn’t I?

Silly me.

4 comments:

orangeclouds said...

Good post.

Ok I must warn you from someone who has been there before: it won't be easy. You will find that you will have very separate lives indeed, that you will only see each other once a week at the weekend family dinner, and sometimes, not even that.

Having said that, it's not like he will stop being there for you, just in a different way. You'll just have to start asking each other out for breakfast more often.

precious said...

thanks...i'm making the most of all our breakfasts now.

he isn't moving far but next street is just not the same after a lifetime of next door.

Manic Mummy said...

it's so touching what you have with your brother. i wish mine wasn't so young otherwise he could take care of me for a change, too.

precious said...

or...train ju to take care of you.

it will take time but one day he will...