Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Autumn | Two

Theirs has been a noisy, not-unhappy marriage. This is something I say factually and hopefully, as a daughter and war correspondent.

This is how I know I am a rubbish reporter: I have been embedded in their marriage for decades, yet whenever I wake up to the rumble and crackle, it makes me uneasy even now. My mind, still in a fog of sleep, struggles to unscramble the shouting. Are they in the kitchen? Who’s on the defensive? Who’s on the offensive? Is it a dispute over the transfer of boiling water from kettle to dispenser, the watering of plants or…yoga? World War Three? Another of their silly romcom skirmishes?

Sometimes one of them starts giggling and I go back to sleep. Sometimes it dawns on me that they are discussing dinner the evening before – what they truly, vehemently think of the Hong Kong liver sausage I bought, which they couldn’t and didn’t tell me during dinner – and my ears prick up. At other times they stop fighting only after one of them goes out, which is when I get out of bed to assess the damage. “What is it now?” I say, careful to sound neutral. Adult. What were you kids fighting over? Was he overreacting to something you said or were you overstating it? If it is serious I don’t joke. If it isn’t I say, “So divorce him.”

When I was younger it was harder to be neutral, much less jokey. Then, as now, only one side called the news conferences. We had only one side of the story, hers, and we sided with her, naturally. As it was, our experience of his work was second-hand but our familiarity with her work – the things she did for us, for our family, for our extended family – was first-hand. I grew up with the idea of marriage as loads of hard work, requiring resolve and professionalism, which I should somehow master for someone someday.

In all fairness to her, she tried to be fair. After her angry sobs subsided, after she had told us angry, terrible things about him, she would tell us about his terrible childhood. She would try to explain to us and to herself that he wasn’t a brute, that he had suppressed too long his helpless anger as a boy. She would tell us they were effectively orphans who had found their family in each other, she who had lost her mother to illness and he who had lost his to madness. She would say, “Your father is a good man.”

I believed her. But it didn’t make the fights less upsetting for me. It was fun only after one very violent fight, when she took us to her uncle’s for the weekend. He had a car! He took us to McDonald’s! It was a holiday from our lives. I remember how calm and comfy – how unreal – it was in the car as we sucked coke through straws and gave uncertain answers about what our parents had fought over.

We had to live with the tension otherwise, waiting one night, two nights, three nights for the cold war to end, for one of them to start speaking to the other at dinner.

Only when I was older did I understand how isolated Pa must have felt after a fight. He might have felt frozen out by his family. Once he went missing before dinner and Ma sent Fei to search the neighbourhood. He was found looking a little lost at a playground.

He’s more relaxed around us now. It has taken him some 30 years to be more relaxed but he’s here, sort of. While Ma is unquestionably ours and we are unquestionably hers, Pa has been more like our host and we have been more like his guests. When he gives us a speech about university, about love, about life, it’s exactly that: a speech some adult gives to some children, not necessarily his. After all the years we have lived under his roof, however, he is familiar enough with us to tell us his side of the story sometimes.

One morning months ago, after some 40 years, my father finally tells me how he met my mother. We are having brunch one Saturday, the two of us, and out of the blue he tells me he hadn’t just seen her one day in an alley in Kota Bharu. He had also heard her, “that loud woman”, coming and going from her aunt’s house next door. “Suk Mei,” she would greet her aunt so loudly, though so sweetly, that their houses would all rattle. (“She rocked his world,” I think to myself.)

Another morning, he tells me how his dates with that boisterous girl set the tone for the marriage. “We would go out and before I could ask her what she wanted to eat, she would ask me. We would be going home and before I could say, ‘Let’s hail a taxi,’ she would be raising up a hand to flag down a taxi.”

It is no news conference but it is the closest he has come to an acknowledgement that money matters apart, he has left to her much of the heavy lifting in their marriage. Because she could. Because she can. Because she is forceful, fearless.

2 comments:

Manic Mummy said...

Your mother is a superwoman. I admire her. But, you know, sometimes it's good to act a bit helpless so the father can enjoy his kids. Men don't step in until they know for sure they're needed.

precious said...

you nailed it. that's the thing she can't do. act helpless. she knows it and just can't do it.